During times of financial hardship, it’s important to remember that everyone is going to be looking for a little bit of extra support. There can be a lot of shame and embarrassment about reaching out to ask for help, but that’s exactly what people are here to do: help.
At Lurgan Credit Union, we always encourage our members to come in and speak to us directly if they are struggling. We will do our best to accommodate you.
Discussions can be arranged either in in a private room or over the phone, depending on which you feel more comfortable with.
We will always endeavour to make you feel comfortable and respected. We will support our members to the best of our ability.
Please contact us if you have any concerns or require help to find the right support for you.
Outside of the a Credit Union setting, you may find yourself in need of other forms of support. If you’re not sure whether you’re eligible for certain benefits, you can use a benefits checker tool at any of the following sites, if you are a British or Irish citizen:
You can also contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for support. Community Advice Craigavon is located at Mount Zion House, Edward Street, Lurgan or Portadown Health & Care Centre, Tavanagh Avenue, Portadown. Contact them by phone on 028 38361181.
Should you require specific financial support and advice, please find below a list of contactable agencies who work within Northern Ireland.
- Advice NI, https://www.adviceni.net/
- Christians Against Poverty, https://capuk.org/get-help
- MoneyHelper, https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en
- StepChange Debt Charity, http://www.stepchange.org/
- National Foundation for Credit Counselling, https://www.nfcc.org/how-we-help/
- Payplan, https://www.payplan.com/
There are a number of charities you can turn to, as well, if necessary. Please find a list below:
- Craigavon Area Foodbank, https://craigavonarea.foodbank.org.uk/get-help/how-to-get-help/
- Samaritans, https://www.samaritans.org/
- Hygiene Bank, https://thehygienebank.com/
- Cash for Kids, https://cashforkids.org.uk/
- St Vincent de Paul, https://stvincentdepaul.business.site/
This cost of living series aims to help you build your financial confidence. You’ll find insights, tips and suggestion to help you feel more knowledgeable about managing your money, as well as jargon free answers to some basic financial questions. This information can also be found on the Credit Union money on your mind series. The content within this series is aimed to provide general guidance and information only. It does not represent financial advice.